Cassie Devereaux supports:
- POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY: Vallejo P.D. has the highest rate of police killings in northern CA. Because the City of Vallejo government chooses
not to rein them in, the entire racist PD must be put into state receivership to hold killer cops to account.
- UNIVERSAL HOUSING: Shelter all unhoused. Concord achieved only 2% of its state mandated affordable housing goals: Develop the Concord Naval Weapons Station exclusively with affordable housing, not offices, shopping and market rate housing.
- NON-COMPLIANCE WITH ICE: No camps, deportations, or family separations. Sanctuary for all. True sanctuary spaces are free from deportations, policing, surveillance, and detention.
- COMMUNITY OWNERSHIP/CONTROL OF PG&E: End power shutoffs, maintain infrastructure to guard against wildfires.
- MEDICAL FOR ALL: MediCal for all to provide quality physical and mental health care for everyone, regardless of citizenship or documentation status.
- PRIORITIZING EDUCATION: Free state college tuition. Student loan forgiveness. No more charter schools. Pay teachers and school staff enough so that they can live where they work.
Look around. Ours is a society with more empty homes than houseless people. We produce enough food to feed the world, but people starve while we destroy 40% of our abundance. Profits for pharmaceutical companies are prioritized before health care and life saving medicine for all. We sacrifice human lives to easily prevented diseases in order to enrich CEOs. Theirs is the class that has wielded the mechanisms of power to ravage our hemisphere for over a century through war, sanctions, propping up dictators – all for Wall Street.
When those suffering from this violent legacy come to the U.S. for sanctuary from the mayhem the this empire is responsible for, this ruthless state rounds them up, separates their families, and cages them. As we argue whether to use the term “concentration camps”, these prisoners are dying in cages. They gut education funding and spend the money building prisons and militarizing police rather than addressing the poverty from which crime springs. The parasites at the top cultivate ignorance, fuel dangerous conspiracy theories and ignore science. Giant corporations plunder our planet, steering the world into climate catastrophe. And while rain forests burn, corporations conduct studies analyzing ways to cash in on the devastation looming on the horizon.
This is a world centered on profit, not people. One designed to keep billionaires in their mansions while people sleep on the street. We can imagine a better world. To make things better we need deep, systemic change. We need Socialism. Socialism means using the fruits of the labor of we who do the work of the world to feed, clothe, and care for us and for our families, not to buy billionaires yet another yacht for their Pacific fleet. The ballot box can be used to help build this movement. The people, united, will usher in this new world. Please join us in exercising our democratic rights to uplift our demands for a better, more just world, and let’s get to work building it!